Sunday, October 30, 2011

Sing Praises to God, guest post by Normandy

Did you know that God commands us seven times in the Bible to sing praise to Him? That is one command for each day of the week! There are many other times where David talks about singing to God in the Psalms! Singing is such an important way to praise God. I often find myself saying the words, rather than singing the words of the songs in church. I find that the best cure for this is to listen to kids sing.

I babysit a little girl named Georgia, and she doesn’t talk clearly, even though she’s three. You really have to pay attention to what she’s saying in order to understand her. She is absolutely in LOVE with her children’s praise CD! Her favorite thing to do when I babysit is blare the CD and dance around the house singing the songs. It is so beautiful to listen to her, in her jumbled up words, sing praise to God; because even though I don’t always know what she’s singing, God does, and her singing makes Him so happy. My sister (who just graduated High School) has a theory which I think is pretty valid: if everyone sang a kid’s song when they woke up in the morning the world would be a happier place.

I do children’s Sunday School music for my church and one of my favorite songs that I play (on the guitar) for the kids is “Happy Day.” The kids love it, and seeing them dance around and do the motions is so rewarding. They certainly love to follow Psalm 33:3-“Sing to Him a new song; play skillfully on the strings, with loud shouts.” They’ve definitely got the loud shouts part down! So I encourage you to be inspired by children. Let their joy bubble over into you and fill you up! Sing with joy and know that when God commands us to sing praises to Him, he doesn’t say anything about singing well, or in harmony, but only to sing with loud shouts!

James 5:13 - “Is anyone of you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praise.” (ESV)

No comments: